Do you have any other ideas, tips or suggestions for motorcycle safety?
In the past few years we have seen more and more people use motorcycles as their primary mode of transportation. Also, with the approach of nice weather, we will see more more people operating motorcycles on the roads in and around Central Pennsylvania and the entire Commonwealth.
When operating a motorcycle it is imporant to be safe. Here are a few tips that can improve your level of safety:
1. Be safe by conducting a pre-ride check to identify any mechanical defects with your motorcycle.
2. Be visible by signaling your intentions, making sure your headlight works and is on day and night, using reflective strips or decals on your clothing and on your motorcycle, and flashing your brake light when you are slowing down and before stopping.
3. Dress safely by wearing an approved helmet and eye protection, and wearing bright colored clothing, over the ankle foot protection, long pants, long-sleeved shirt, and full-fingered gloves.
4. Use common sense by keeping a safe distance from other motorists and give yourself enough time to react to dangerous situations, using lane positioning to be seen; ride in the part of a lane where you are most visible, and avoid weaving between lanes.
5. Ride unimpaired by not riding when you are tired or under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
6. Ride by being courteous and responsible with respect to other drivers.
7. Don’t speed and know the local traffic laws and rules of the road.
8. Be Prepared by developing your riding techniques before going into heavy traffic and knowing how to handle your bike in conditions such as wet or sandy roads, high winds, and uneven surfaces.