Despite a system which is working pretty much fairly and fine, the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce is aggressively lobbying the Pennsylvania legislature for legislation to severely limit your rights under the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act. The Chamber is proposing legislation, which will soon be introduced, that will substantially impair the rights of injured workers and their physicians.
Some examples of this proposed legislation include:
1. Mandatory drug testing at set intervals when Schedule II narcotics are prescribed.
2. Allow employers to specify the use of one or more prescription benefit managers to provide all of your prescription drugs.
3. Prohibit physician offices from dispensing more than first fill of any drug. This means you do not get to choose where your prescriptions are being filled. This allows the insurance company to have more control over your prescription medications.
4. Allow an independent doctor to decide if your medical treatment is related to your work injury instead of allowing a Judge to hear the testimony and consider all of the evidence.
5. Extend the required time you have to treat with a panel physician instead of your own physician from 90 days to 180 days. This means that you do not get to treat with a doctor you choose until 180 days after your accident.
Oppose the Pennsylvania Chamber’s proposal to overhaul the Workers’ Compensation Act!
If you have any questions, contact the Schmidt Kramer Workers’ Compensation attorneys Tom Cook and Melissa Leininger today.
Schmidt Kramer PC
209 State Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
(717) 232-6300 – Telephone
(717) 232-6467 – Facsimile